Don’t miss the sustainability event of the year!
The 2017 Sustainability Fair & Town Hall is Thursday evening, March 9, at the CH2MHill Alumni Center on the OSU campus.
Our 9th Annual Sustainability Fair and Town Hall promises to be the best ever! The Fair from 5 to 7 pm will feature more than 50 interactive exhibits (see the list below), a generous spread of delicious local, organic food served by Valley Catering, and music by the Nick Rivard Jazz Duo. In addition, a Kids’ Activity Room will include lively, hands-on activities for children.
A new highlight of the Fair will be two breakout sessions, featuring presentations by Joe Esker of the Community Food Land Trust and Dan Orzech of the Oregon Clean Power Cooperative, both of whom are offering opportunities for community members to invest in a sustainable future.
Fair attendees are encouraged to help make the Sustainability Fair a model event by walking, biking, carpooling, or taking the bus to the Alumni Center. Bike racks are on the north side of the building, on the northwest side of LaSells Stewart Center, and at Reser Plaza (directly across 26th Street from the Alumni Center). For bus routes, see www.corvallistransit.com.
At 7 pm, the focus will shift to the Alumni Center ballroom, where participants will be seated at tables of 8 for a fast-paced, interactive Town Hall. The program includes three parts, each with a presentation from the main stage followed by discussion and activity at the tables.
The program will include the annual Community Scrapbook, a slide presentation highlighting the sustainability achievements of local organizations and businesses during the past year – actions that are moving our community toward our goals of environmental quality, social equity, and economic vitality.
This year’s keynote speaker is Dr. Samantha Chisholm Hatfield, who is an enrolled member of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. She earned her Doctorate from OSU in Environmental Sciences, focusing on Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) of Siletz Tribal Members. Dr. Chisholm Hatfield’s specializations include Indigenous TEK, tribal adaptations due to climate change, and Native culture issues. She has worked with Oregon Climate Change Research Institute and has successfully completed a post-Doctoral research position with Northwest Climate Science Center.
The Fair and Town Hall are organized by the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition, a network of 350 partner organizations and hundreds of individual volunteers working together to create a sustainable community. The primary event sponsor is the OSU Office of Sustainability. Additional sponsors include Block 15, Corvallis Chamber of Commerce, First Alternative Co-op, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Abundant Solar, Blackledge Furniture, Caves Bier & Kitchen, Corvallis Radiology, Denison Farms, Footwise, Green Girl, Greenbelt Land Trust, Kate Hickok Media Productions, Marys Peak Group of the Sierra Club, Owen Dell & Associates, Sky High Brewing & Pub, Town & Country Realty, and Western Pulp Products.
* Fair exhibitors will offer something for everyone! Take a look…
- 350 Corvallis – Sustainability game, roll the dice and choose an action card.
- 3 Degrees/Pacific Power & NW Natural – Renewable energy programs. Free stainless steel water bottles to new enrollees! Take a photo of yourself with our pop-up poster of wind turbines that you can put your head through.
- Abundant Solar
- Alliance for Recreation & Natural Areas (AFRANA)/Marys Peak Alliance – Model of Marys Peak and showcase of collaborative projects underway (Ft Hoskins; So. County Rec. Planning)
- American Nuclear Society & Health Physics Society – OSU Student Chapter – Flyers and small props
- Audubon Society of Corvallis – Bird identification games; display of bird specimens from the collection at Hesthavn Nature Center
- Benton County Rural & Special Transportation – Transportation options in Benton County
- Benton Habitat for Humanity – Find out about our passive home build and the general benefits of passive certified construction. See our hands-on display of a passive wall.
- Carts & Tools – Display of tills and electric battery powered tool for growing local sustainable food
- Cascades West Rideshare/Pedal Corvallis – Bike share info and sticker giveaways
- Cascadia Expeditions – “Infinite Loops”: using para-cord slip knots – Attempt to unlink yourself from a partner without taking the paracord “handcuffs” off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNl-EL6vfk.
- City of Corvallis – CAMPO & Corvallis TSP – Information about the Corvallis Transportation System Plan and Transit Development Plan, and the Corvallis Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
- City of Corvallis – Stormwater Program – Enter your address and view how close your property is to a lost stream. Stormwater Pollution Education
- Corvallis Bicycle Collective – Displays about our nonprofit organization and interactive bike part cutaways
- Corvallis Citizens’ Climate Lobby – Guessing game about amount of C02 emitted from 1 gallon of gas – Provide comments for your member of Congress.
- Corvallis Copy Center – Learn about our sustainability features.
- Corvallis Environmental Center – Guess the vegetable!
- Corvallis Right of Way (CROW) – Traffic experts will describe safety for drivers and vulnerable road users.
- Corvallis Senior Co-Housing Project – Poster, information handouts, conversation with booth staffers
- Edward Jones (Office of Tim Euhus & Trevor Bulman) – Learn about sensible investing, why diversify, investments & services.
- Energy Trust of Oregon – Information on ETO cash incentives and offerings
- First Alternative Co-op – Prize wheel – spin the wheel, answer a question about the Co-op or sustainability and receive a prize!
- Food Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Guess which foods are local, and learn about energy-efficient gardening.
- Greenbelt Land Trust – Maps and interactive visuals to showcase conservation priorities and projects in the Mid-Valley
- Health & Human Services Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Green cleaning kits and info about how to create a healthier home by avoiding hazardous cleaning products
- Healthy Youth Program – Linus Pauling Institute (OSU) – Information about nutrition and garden programs. “Eat the Rainbow” kids’ activity!
- HOUR Exchange – View our new website, learn about Local Currency, and try out the guessing box!
- League of Women Voters of Corvallis – Identify actions you can take to combat climate change
- Linn-Benton Food Share – Information and conversation about Linn Benton Food Share
- Marys Peak Group/Sierra Club – Photos of our outings – List your most pressing environmental concerns.
- Marys River Grange #685 – Information & promotion of Marys River Grange
- Mid-Valley Harvest – See the amount of produce harvested and kept from going to waste in the past two years. Learn ways for growers and volunteers to get involved.
- Mid-Valley Health Care Advocates – Health Care Advocacy game
- Natural Areas Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Natural Areas Celebration Week and Community Habitat information
- OSU Extension Benton County – Information on extension programming
- OSU Extension Benton County – Master Gardeners – Information on Master Gardeners
- OSU Campus Recycling – Learn about community events such as Repair Fairs and OSUed Store sales.
- OSU Folk Club Thrift Shop – Information board and items representing what is sold at the thrift shop
- OSU Student Sustainability Initiative – A challenge to assess the intersections of social justice and environmental sustainability – Map your impact!
- OSU Sustainability Office – Light board display and interactive elements about sustainability on the OSU Corvallis Campus – Emphasis on climate change and greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation
- OSU Transportation Services – Information about transportation options to and around OSU, accompanied by swag
- Owen Dell and Associates, LLC – Sustainable landscape and educational activity
- Pacific Green Party – Linn-Benton Chapter – Ranked preference voting demonstration
- Produce for the People – Make newspaper pots for plant starts
- Republic Services – Recycling and/or mixed organics sorting game
- Seeds for the Sol – Guessing game of common questions/misconceptions about solar with small prizes
- Solar Ki – Solar electric design & installation
- South Corvallis Food Bank – Information about our mission and volunteer opportunities and internships
- Ten Rivers Food Web – Community Food Land Trust – Securing affordable food land for the future
- The Thyme Garden – Info about our restoration and preservation efforts – Play our game matching growing techniques with different plants for a free seed packet!
- Timberhill Athletic Club
- Transportation Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Alternative Transportation game: Find a walking/biking/bus route from home to a destination randomly drawn from a game card (e.g. Favorite Restaurant).
- Waste Prevention Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Corvallis-Area ReUse Directory distribution – Learn how to become a Recycling Block Captain.
- Water Action Team (Corvallis Sustainability Coalition) – Find your nearest creek or lost creek.
- Wild Yeast Bakery – Matching/Identification game of different local grains
- Willamette Gardens – Match the butterfly with its host plant for the caterpillars.
- Zoetic Architecture – Display of energy efficient (Passive House) housing designs. Samples of wall construction methods and sustainable building materials.
See you at the event!