Vision, Mission, and Goals
For the community: Corvallis is a community in which the needs of the present are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It is a flourishing and thriving city with a vibrant economy that respects, restores, and cares for the community of life.
For our organization: The Corvallis Sustainability Coalition provides grassroots leadership, inspiration, resources, opportunities for collaboration, and innovative solutions to help Corvallis and Benton County become more sustainable.
To promote an ecologically, socially, and economically healthy city and county. We will achieve our mission by using the Sustainability Guiding Objectives and a democratic, highly participative decision-making process.
Sustainability Guiding Objectives – A framework for decision-making based on the four Natural Step system conditions for a sustainable society.
Our community will:
- Reduce and ultimately eliminate our community’s contribution to fossil fuel dependence and to wasteful use of scarce metals and minerals. Use renewable resources whenever possible.
- Reduce and ultimately eliminate our community’s contribution to dependence upon persistent chemicals and wasteful use of synthetic substances. Use biologically safe products whenever possible.
- Reduce and ultimately eliminate our community’s contribution to encroachment upon nature (e.g., land, water, wildlife, forests, soil, ecosystems). Protect natural ecosystems.
- Support people’s capacity to meet their basic needs fairly and efficiently.
For the community: Our goals for the community in 12 topic areas are outlined in Community Sustainability: A Framework for Action.
For our organization:
- To advance the Action Plan (Community Sustainability: A Framework for Action)
- To support our volunteers and partners
- To develop financial stability
- To provide staff
- To increase visibility
Details are outlined in our 5-year Strategic Plan 2012-2016.