We Challenge You to Buy Local First
The Corvallis Sustainability Coalition and Community Independent Business Alliance (CIBA) are co-sponsors of an ongoing Buy Local First campaign. The campaign challenges community members to consider locally owned independent businesses FIRST when making purchases. Money spent in a locally owned business generates more economic benefits, measured in income, wealth, jobs and tax revenue than money spent at a national chain or globally owned business.
One of the highlights is Buy Local First Day, held each year during the holiday season.
Why Buy Local First?
- Prosperity: Of every $100 spent at a locally owned business, $45 goes back into the local economy. Only $13 of every $100 spent at a chain store stays in the community. When you buy from a “Mom or Pop” business, you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college. Buying what you need from our locally owned independent businesses supports people who are part of our community!
- Stability: Local ownership minimizes the chance that a company or business will pull up stakes and move to another town.
- Flexibility: Local business owners are generally more available to their customers and more interested in developing personal relationships, value feedback and accommodate customers’ requests.
- Diversity: Local businesses help a community retain its unique character.
- Sustainability: Spending money at a locally owned business decreases transportation costs, reduces the use of underpaid labor and rewards those who are not outsourcing jobs.