CIBA and the Sustainability Coalition
Challenge You to Buy Local First
The Corvallis Sustainability Coalition and Corvallis Independent Business Alliance (CIBA) are co-sponsors of an ongoing Buy Local First campaign. The campaign challenges community members to consider locally owned independent businesses FIRST when making purchases. Money spent in a locally owned business generates more economic benefits, measured in income, wealth, jobs and tax revenue than money spent at a national chain or globally owned business.
Find the businesses that have been featured as “Business of the Week” in the Business of the Week Archives.
Why Buy Local First?
- Prosperity: Of every $100 spent at a locally owned business, $45 goes back into the local economy. Only $13 of every $100 spent at a chain store stays in the community. When you buy from a “Mom or Pop” business, you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college. Buying what you need from our locally owned independent businesses supports people who are part of our community!
- Stability: Local ownership minimizes the chance that a company or business will pull up stakes and move to another town.
- Flexibility: Local business owners are generally more available to their customers and more interested in developing personal relationships, value feedback and accommodate customers’ requests.
- Diversity: Local businesses help a community retain its unique character.
- Sustainability: Spending money at a locally owned business decreases transportation costs, reduces the use of underpaid labor and rewards those who are not outsourcing jobs.
One of the highlights of the Buy Local First campaign is Buy Local First Day, which is held each year during the holiday season. Stay tuned for news of this year’s Buy Local First Day!