Recycling Block Captain Program
WANTED: Corvallis Recycling Block Captains!
The Coalition’s Waste Prevention Action Team invites additional Corvallis residents to participate in our Recycling Block Captains program!
As a recycling block captain, you can help educate your neighbors about recycling, composting, and waste prevention, as well as encourage their full participation in the opportunities that Republic Services is currently providing. It takes just a couple hours every three to five months to participate. Recycling block captains have two primary responsibilities:
- Distribute recycling information to your neighbors three to four times a year, and
- Serve as a liaison between your neighbors and the Sustainability Coalition’s Waste Prevention Action Team.
The action team provides the handouts; the captains define their own neighborhood (number of homes and location).
Sign-up using this online form.
Did you hear about our winter 2016 recruitment campaign? See the results and prize drawing winners here.
Note: Not all neighborhoods are marked yet
Make map larger
Already a Recycling Block Captain?
If you would like to know the next gathering time or have questions, please . If you would like additional quarter-sheet introductory letters to share with your neighbors, download this file.
Click a title to download the handout in PDF format.
- Curbside Recycling, Simplified (Winter 2017)
- What happens to my recyclables? (Fall 2016)
- Recycling opportunities in the bathroom (Summer 2016)
- Do-it-yourself green cleaning (Spring 2016)
- Have you seen it all? (Recap of previous handouts) (Winter 2016)
- Plastic Recycling Made Simple: 4 Shapes (Fall 2015)
- Reduce waste to save your energy and money (Summer 2015)
- What are your neighbors up to? (Spring 2015)
- E-Waste Disposal in the Corvallis Area (Winter 2015)
- Low Waste Ideas for the Holidays (Fall 2014)
- Pharmaceutical disposal in Corvallis (Summer 2014)
- Common Contamination at the Curb (Spring 2014)
- Reducing Plastic Waste (Fall 2013)
- Plastic Recycling Update (Summer 2013)
- Household Hazardous Waste Guide (January 2013)
- How to Compost Food Waste in your Mixed Organics Cart (June 2012, for Corvallis city limits)
- An Introduction to Home Composting (June 2012, for outside city limits)
- Sneak Peak of the Corvallis ReUse Directory (January 2012) (please download the full directory)
- Paper Recycling in Corvallis (September 2011)
- Metal & Glass Recycling in Corvallis (June 2011)
- Plastics Recycling in Corvallis (published in March 2011; see Summer 2013 handout for an update)
- Corvallis Mixed Organics Cart (December 2010)
OSU Compost Survey
In spring 2015, the Sociology 519 class at Oregon State University conducted focus groups, surveys and case study research regarding composting behaviors and programs, both in Corvallis and other areas with successful programs. See their findings in the PDF documents below: